rss
twitter
    Solar Power Generator Wholesale Supplies

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Alien Covenant Poster

This got me really excited to see Ridley Scott directing an actual Alien movie again. I actually enjoyed Prometheus (dumb scientists and all), but the prospect of that storyline bleeding into a real Alien horror film directed by the original master... very excited for this. But I do like the Covenant poster the best for keeping it simple without being stupid. My friend has never seen any of the Alien films, and if I was going to show her one poster to represent the whole series I would choose Covenant.

James Cameron probably recognized he won't be able to easily surpass Ridley Scott's claustrophobic horror, so he turned a 180 and made a badass action film instead. That's exactly what we need. Alien was so effective because it was a great blend of sci-fi AND horror. The feeling of being isolated and trapped with that thing you can't see and know nothing about... chills! Shit! I've been meaning to! I keep forgetting about it. I've seen brief videos of it and it looks terrifying and damn good.

It's a long game, but man is it well done. The build up is great and they really managed to get an 80's vibe with the technology. It also has me hiding in places with my heart thumping half of the time :). That's why I can't get on board with Aliens. It's an action sci-fi, and it's pretty well stamped visually as early Cameron. The lighting, the tone- it's not the immersive suspenseful horror that made Alien work so well . The first was scary because you didn't know what it was, what it was capable of, even what it looked like for a lot of the movie. Now a ton of that mystery is gone.

Not the case now. Rather, today, everything is explained, properly categorized, perfectly defined along with a complete background history, etc., etc., etc. People apparently can't imagine anymore.If I'm not mistaken I think this was the first time a female took the lead in an action movie too so they had that going for them. Sigourney Weaver has always been one of my favorite actresses ever since I saw the first Alien. Totally. I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of people that liked Alien 3, but I personally felt it was borderline insulting given just how good Aliens was. Of course it's hard to follow THAT up.

Although 3 is a bit of a mess, I can honestly appreciate how brutally nihilistic that movie is. From the get-go, you can tell that it isn't going to be a crowdpleasing sequel. The Neon Demon,Everybody Wants Some,Sing Street,Midnight Special,The Witch,Green Room,Desierto,Jackie,Cafe Society and Hardcore Henry. At least in my opinion. Well, I can't say I hated it. And I even enjoyed Only God Forgives. But man, that movie was something else. I'm not one to get squeamish in any movie but I was legit nauseous for hours after that.

When humanity send us their space marines they not sending their best. They're sending drugs, they're sending flame throwers, they're sending game overs, some space marines I assume are good people but who am I kidding folks we'll eat them too. And those are only the movies I'm predicting will make $500M+ (Well, probably not John Wick 2 or Ghost in the Shell), but 2017 is going to be packed with blockbusters that actually look decent. Just think next year we get a new Alien film, a new Blade Runner, and a new Star Wars. 2016 might have sucked but 2017 has a lot to look forward to as least as far as movies are concerned.

I haven't been scared by a game like that since resident evil 2. It does survivor horror right. Resident evil screwed up when they gave me a fair chance against my opponents. In AI, you're constantly fucked. I 100% agree. Aliens was one of the best looking movies ever made. To me it looks better than most movies made even today. CGI may be good these days, but we can still tell it's CGI most of the time. And that just takes away from the overall coolness factor.

Animatronics is the way. CGI should be used too in some cases, if it's well done you won't even be able to tell if it's CGI or not. But costumes don't look good imo, the xenomorph anatomy doesn't fit a guy in a costume. I know the first movie was like that, and some parts of the following movies too. But costumes must be used with much subtlety (as well as CGI).

No comments:

Post a Comment