rss
twitter
    Solar Power Generator Wholesale Supplies

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Waited For a Couple Decades Whether Walking in My Father's Footsteps

Am I the only one disappointed that the after photo wasn't him sitting on his dad's lap in a cruiser?

The Good Guys, with Colin Hanks and Bradley Whitford would be a close fit, but without the actual father-son relationship, but the rest of the idea fits (good young cop partnered with 70s/80s style rough and tumble cop) There was a show when i was a kid about a guy that wore a hat, and when he lost it, he became a mannequin. I dont remember the name of the show, but, that is all i remember. Hat fell off == instant mannequin.

Honestly thought you were talking about Frosty the Snowman until I read these other replies that name the show.Today's Special. It was filmed at the old Simpsons store in the Eatons Centre in Toronto. Also features a talking mouse and an elderly security guard that was either extremely sleep deprived or drunk. God I loved that show.Actually, the patch is the same on both uniforms. I'm willing to bet the uniform she wore as a kid was a home made replica of the one she's wearing on duty.

I'm logging off for the evening but I wanted to say that I can't begin to tell you much the some of these comments mean to me. I'm eager to get out and be a positive influence in my city. Its an interesting time to be getting into this line of work but I have no doubt that things will only get better.Thank you for going into that line of work in a time where everything is telling you not to. Thank you for wanting to better other's lives at the risk of your own.You're awesome dude. I've always thought about being a cop just so I could talk to people out and about hoping it would make them feel safer. Good luck too .

I remember when I wanted to be a firefighter. My dad just retired after 32 years of being one. My uncle is also a firemen. I always remember the show and tells, going on runs and wearing my dads gear around the neighborhood once for fun. I loved the smell and brotherhood a firestation would be. I had surgery when I was 19. I can never follow in my dads footsteps. What killed me the most is when my mom told me "I remember when you said you wanted to be a firefighter when you were almost out of highschool, he was so thrilled that he started to make arrangements to get your tests/training together." I wish she never told me that. I feel like I don't make him proud.

I'm proud every time I realize my son is living on this earth, breathing, learning, and coming to the realizations I know I experienced every step of the way. I have a similar experience with my dad. He has been a firefighter ever since I was a baby, still is and now I am working side by side with him on the fire department! I don't have a "Then and Now" picture like this one readily available, but I am happy to post one if anybody is interested? But, if this gets buried I'm not going to go digging through the crawl to find an old picture space at 12:30 am .

My instructors were quick to say its a bad time to get into law enforcement. I think its a great time to be a part of the change everybody wants to see. Regardless, I appreciate it. Hang in there, it's gonna be a tough slog. At least your dad knows first hand what policing was like in the 70s and 80s. It's two steps forward, one step back but there's still slow progress! Fair question, a hard one too. I don't have every answer and I have a lot to learn but I'm a big believer in community policing...which I realize is vague. I think consistent positive contacts with police, consistent attempts to address community concerns, and transparency are all good but it isn't enough. Something my department recently did was a city canvas...every officer went door-to-door to talk. They asked how they were doing, they asked if there was something they were worried about in the community, a lot of this was just relationship building. Most people don't come in contact with police unless they are in some sort of crisis.

You're often dealing with people on the worst day of their lives, and how you treat them in that moment usually colors how they perceive law enforcement for the rest of their lives. Do you think officers should keep that in mind in such high-stress situations, or do you have to focus exclusively on managing the safety of the people involved? Hope this doesn't seem like a loaded question. You have an essential job and it's not one everyone can do, certainly not with such a positive attitude. I hope you stay safe out there.

Yeah becoming an active part of the community like that would be great to see. Where I am you don't see police unless something bad has already happened, and the unfortunate amount of power trippers has given them a bad reputation. I'm just a citizen and I'd like to make a suggestion. Just treat people with the respect and dignity that every human deserves. It's really that simple. Once law enforcement as a whole quits treating everyone like a hardened criminal, you'll begin to see a change in how we feel about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment