rss
twitter
    Solar Power Generator Wholesale Supplies

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Easily run CPAP for 3 days with power left over with solar power generator

After looking at numerous solar options I decided to go with the Yeti 400 as a way to power my CPAP during power outages. In my short trial it turns out to be EXACTLY what I hoped it would be. The size is great and it lasts as long as I had hoped. The number and types of outlets is ideal. Though I got this so I could also charge my phones, radios and LED lights (Goal Zero ones) during hurricanes, etc., the primary purpose was for my CPAP. I read the reviews like most people do and decided this package, with it's pure sine wave inverter and numerous outputs, was the one for me. I also periodically go camping and this will allow me to go to sites without being tethered to an electrical outlet. When the machine arrived five days ago the meter showed the 80%. I used it to run my RESMED AUTOSET II CPAP that first night. I did NOT use the humidifier. After 7+ hours of sleep it still read 80%. The numbers are a little misleading though. It reads in 20% increments, so if it reads 80% it could be anywhere from 80 to 99%. The pictures clearly show the 'meter'. I wasn't sure how much juice it really drew so I ran a longer test.

I plugged in the YETI the next day and it was fully charged by bedtime. I used it for three nights straight without recharging to simulate a camping trip or short power outage. The average number of hours used each night was over 7. After the first night the meter read 80%. After the second night the meter showed 60%. After the third night the 40% was still lit. My guess is that it is actually around the 50% mark. The meter also shows how much juice the machine is using in real time. Mine varied so I didn't try to get an average.

Given this, in an emergency I am confident that I could get at least 5 days out of the YETI if it was powering just my CPAP and wasn't recharged in any way. I've read that using the humidifier would greatly reduce that. Makes sense. Again, I didn't use the YETI 400 to power anything other than the CPAP. I know that these types of batteries aren't supposed to be run down completely, but in an emergency I wouldn't be all that concerned in the short term. Also, I read in one of the Q&As that Goal Zero recommends completely running down the battery every 2-3 months. I will verify before I do that.
My next addition with be a RENOGY 100W folding solar panel. I decided on this rather than getting four Boulder 30 panels and chaining them together - and getting a stand to put them on. The YETI 400 can take up to 120W input, but the RENOGY panel provides close to the max in a form that works best for me. It also has it's own stand. I will not be using the panel that often and having a panel that folds out of the way is more important than getting the max number of watts.

I am extremely happen with the package in the short time I've had it and look forward to using it out in the woods with a panel attached. The size and convenience make uo for the relativelyt steep price. I did also buy a Guide 10 Plus for when I am just hiking and need juice for my radios.

No comments:

Post a Comment