rss
twitter
    Solar Power Generator Wholesale Supplies

Monday, September 12, 2016

Why Dat Hand Shake Attempt

I don't see what's so bad about it. Sucks it happened but Ryan handled it pretty gracefully I'd say. It's very easy to forget that not everyone has vision. Because, pretty much everyone has vision.His body motions were slightly awkward but he wasn't demeaning or putting himself above or purposefully making fun of the guy. In fact, high fiving him instead of patronizingly doing something else brings him as equals and shows how Ryan isn't ableist.Last week I was helping a blind woman get ready for computer class(I'm the teacher) I'm leaving and tell her,"see you later" I couldn't stifle my giggle when I realized what I said. I haven't seen her in class since.

Maybe she thought you were laughing at her? It's definitely ok to ask people who use wheelchairs to get around, if they want to go for a walk or tell a bind person you'll see them later. Changing your language around these common sayings would sound really patronizing I imagine.I have a habit when I see someone I recognise but can't place who they are - I say "Hey! I know that face!" So when I was in that situation a few months ago, I blurt it out, ask them how they are while wondering why he's not saying anything... And promptly remember that the person I'm talking to is Deaf.

Well, the dude is awarding medals a the paralympics, so I don't think this is the first guy he came across. But I imagine the preferred shake depends exactly on the person. Like maybe the last person he awarded had an upper arm or something, and preferred shaking with that.I'm a server in a restaurant and once in a while I have had to serve the deaf or blind. The number of times I've tried to talk to a deaf person is too damn high. Obviously I'm not trying to patronize them or anything, it's just a really really easy mistake to make.

Yeah, and raising your hand for a high five is a pretty instinctive gesture. Taking a few seconds to self-correct just shows you're not necessarily familiar with or regularly around someone with a disability, but it's still coming from a well-intentioned place."Chuck here, I tell ya he's a real stand up guy. He's got great ideas and he's quick on his feet, and whenever you need a favor he's the first one to give you a leg up. Truly an upstanding American citizen."

No but I started talking to a smoking hot deaf girl at a party and she started speaking the way that real dead people do and I, being drunk and a little retarded, said "Hah! What?! That voice is hilarious! Who is that?!" Her friend stepped in and called me an asshole. It was loud. I didn't know. I apologized. She said I was cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment